[Advaita-l] varNAsharama system at the time of shankara

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Tue Jul 15 00:14:42 CDT 2008

On Tue, 15 Jul 2008, Bhaskar YR wrote:

> Thanks a lot for your kind clarification & detailed reply prabhuji.  Since
> shankara did not raise any objections with regard to *avyavasTha* of
> varNashrama system & interestingly he frames his counter arguments  by
> *accepting* the disorder in the system of varNAshrama.....actually that
> drew my attention...

Well, we should clarify that Shankaracharya is only accepting the argument
rhetorically to show its invalidity.  We cannot say on the basis of this
passage alone whether he personally agreed with it or not.  The evidence
(such as the next adhikarana as you pointed out) suggests that he didn't.

He does clearly acknowledge we do not interact directly with the Gods
these days as they did in ancient times.