[Advaita-l] Dinosaurs and Puranas

Pranav Peshwe pranavpeshwe at gmail.com
Sat Jul 5 12:47:21 CDT 2008

Namaste Lathaji and list members,

On Sat, Jul 5, 2008 at 2:37 PM, latha vidyaranya <lathavidya at yahoo.co.in>
wrote:

> hari om
> namaste
>
> all that our science proves is not the eternal truth. what was proved
> scientifically a hundred years ago to be the truth gets disproved another
> hundred years later by some other research group who claim their discovery
> is the 'latest truth' !

What you say is absolutely true!

and all human discoveries are bound by the limited perception of human mind
> and sensory apparatus. they are 'pourusheya'. whereas, our smruthi and
> puraanaas are based on shruthi or vedas which are  apourusheya and hence
> contain the eternal truth. where physics ends meta physics begins.

      Accepting the very fact that, apourusheya statements are to be
regarded as eternal truths, is itself subject to every individual's choice.
Hindus believe that a single Yug on earth, lasts for lakhs of man years; but
a Catholic would not accept that, the earth is more than 6000 years old, let
alone millions. This would happen due to difference in choice of belief.

     One may accept the Vedas to be true because they are apourusheya. When
one does that, one implicitly accepts the fact that, what is apourusheya is
eternally true. We have to begin somewhere and, take something for granted
without caring for a logical reason. Doing or not doing this, is again, the
individual's choice.

Of course, for someone who has *accepted *a scripture as true, there is no
question of doubting its authenticity and tallying it with scientific
results. But, since, Sureshji's question was about establishing the
authenticity of scriptures, I alluded to science and logic.

Thanks for reading!
Kindly CMIIW.

Best regards,
Pranav