[Advaita-l] Meditation (dhyAna), knowledge (jnAna) etc. in Sankara's advaita

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Wed Jul 2 23:30:13 CDT 2008

However, I feel compelled to ask for some advice reg. the type of
meditation I've been doing lately, because I don't know where else to turn.
Brahman Satya, Jagat Mithya...this is the basis of my meditation. What I do
is, I try to see the falsity (mithyatva) of all that comes into my mind
(which indirectly makes the seer alone true, satya).

praNAms
Hare Krishna

I am not a meditation analyst to pass the judgement on your experiences in
meditation...However, if you could permit me I'd like to say  first of all
brahma jnAna what has been taught in advaita vedanta is not an *object* of
meditation...brahma jnAna cannot be a *vishaya* to do meditation like I am
the brahman,  the only satya & rest of the things (world)  are
mithya...Nevertheless, our scriptures recommend various types of
upAsana-s/dhyAna-s like saguNa, sAkAra dhyAna, nirguNa nirAkAra dhyAna,
meditation on OmkAra etc. These type of meditation would prepare oneself to
receive jnAna which has to happen through  the direct means i.e.  vastu
tantra shravaNa, manana nidhidhyAsana.

Prabhuji, you can ignore this mail if it further complicates your spiritual
path.

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar