[Advaita-l] Importance of Ashram

Anuj whereisanuj at gmail.com
Tue Jan 1 01:21:56 CST 2008

Dear Kartik, I appreciate your visiting the website thoroughly and
although I agree that it is a marketing savvy website (what you consider
corporate or "cultish" ), I think the central message of not believing what
you read, hear and assume but finding out for yourself through direct
experience is being missed here. You see, Mahesh actually has been to the
ashram, as will I in a few days. My mother has this problem of taking things
on face value and believing things too literally sometimes...and I can see
how that messes things up.

Yes, he is a businessman, and a really good one at that, but considering
that most of the influence and problems lie at their root in the working,
materially attached world, I see nothing wrong with addressing that
audience who need this knowledge the most. It's great that Vedanta is
preached the world over to all but most people like my mother and other
people in their retirement years that tend to really take this knowledge to
heart are not going to make the kind of difference it will take to make
society at large a better, truer, wiser place. So I feel the niche Swami
Parthasarthy appeals to is quite an important part of the generation that
can make a real, practical difference in their society and this is for the
greater good for the most people. Let's just say, for someone like me with
an MBA who has withdrawn from the American corporate banking/consulting
lifestyle I can connect with this version of Vedanta that leaves me more
positive for the state of humanity - that there is hope if only the
knowledge is shared in a digestible context. Rather than sharing all the
complicated Sanskrit terminology and debating over Which Swami is more or
less authentic and wiser, I prefer to concentrate on finding this out within
and if the environment and guidance is conducive to that, that's where my
home will be.

I do sincerely appreciate every one's input and concerns and support though,
this discussion group is a great forum for these exchanges.

With thanks,
Anuj