[Advaita-l] The True Nature of Advaita

Shantanu Panigrahi shantanu_panigrahi at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Dec 22 18:25:05 CST 2008

Mr Ramakrishna

Since you have clarified that you are a student (in the United States it would appear) I should forgive you for attempting to get me thrown out of Advaita L but you are persisting with your attacks. Let me however begin with the term Bhagavan that you use for Shri Shankaracharya. The Bhagavan is restricted to Almighty God (Brahman) in my vocabulary and Shankaracharya was a human being. As a student of Advaita philosophy you must first learn to address the person correctly.

In one of my previous writings I have already clarified that the essence of Sankaracharya is the identity between the Brahman and the Jiva, the so called non-dualism. One of the problems with this philosophy is that it leads a sizeable number of people to think that they are God themselves and like Mr Bhaskar they address each other as prabhuji. Satya Sai Baba for example says that he is God. Similarly, the term prabhu is also restricted to Almighty Gods Spirit in my vocabulary. I know for certain that Almighty God is distinct for the way I communicate and correspond with Him. And He is a highly Caring God with Infinite Patience and Intelligence and Wisdom - I  found that out from detailed contacts through the worst years of my life in the United Kingdom. Surely Shri Shankaracharya's philosophy does not say that we humans with our limited biology are equal to that or that we have automatic access to that Infinite Nature of God because of Advaita. We
 humans in other words know our limitations.

As to how I can contribute to Advaita philosophy, I have said that there is not perfect monoism as Shri Shankaracharya's preachings suggest. I have searched for the answer to this question for 8 years of daily worship and advaita practice. There is a large overlap unquestionably but between God Paramatma and humans there is a distance, and that distance is necessary to engender respect towards God.

There is obviously a difference between religion and philosophy. It is highly unlikely that Shri Shankaracharya would have achieved the wondrous works he did which has left us with such a wealth of religious literature if he was not a religious person and practiced religion from what I have read.

I hope this clarifies the situation. I do not know what you mean by 'if it were a swamiji out of immense compassion he would leave you alone'. Does it mean that you will not leave me alone?

Yours sincerely

Dr Shantanu Panigrahi