[Advaita-l] Gurukula system - Is it Vedic?

anupam srivatsav anupam.srivatsav at gmail.com
Sat Aug 23 05:56:40 CDT 2008

Dear Sri SriKrishna,

Namaste.

> With my limited knolwdge of Vedas I could not find Gurukul Sytem of Education in Vedas. I shall be grateful if referece to Vedic riks/mantars/hymns could be given
> about Gurukul system of education.

With regard to the Gurukula System, I shall give you a reference from
non other than Upanishads itself.  Though what kind of gurukula and
how the system was etc were not discussed at length, nevertheless the
system existed.  Explaining the gurukula system perse is not the
purpose of any of the Upanishads.  The details are worked out in
either smritis or in puraanas.  The learned members of this group may
correct me if I am wrong or add some more information on this subject.