[Advaita-l] Discussion on Pratitya-samutpada and Finite Automata

Ananta Bhagwat ananta14 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 28 07:48:04 CDT 2008

The pratItya-samutpAda is not fuzzy logic.

Its general formula:

When this is, that is.
>From the arising of this comes the arising of that.
When this isn't, that isn't.
>From the cessation of this comes the cessation of that
(Ref Assutava Sutta SN 12.61, translated from Pali Tripitaka by Thannisaro Bhikkhu)

At the very core, it is the transition of one state (cause) to another state (effect) based on external conditions. The causal chain can proceed or stop when certain conditions are activated (present) or deactivated (absent). The next state depends on current state together with external inputs available to the state, the very same principle on which Finite Automata works. The various possibilities of transitions can generate a complex web of interrelated cause-effects chains.

This simple principle is operative in our vyavahAra even without our knowing it. Recall executing tasks, planning processes, writing algorithms (programs) or for that matter any natural everyday phenomenon.

The dependent-origination is not only mAdhyamaka principle but the bedrock of entire Buddhism and shows the empiricist, positivist character of buddhism. It is said that "Those who see pratItya-samutpAda will see the dharma and those who see the dharma will see pratItyasamutpAda" (Ref Bhikshu Sanghrakshita in Cultural History of India, Publ by Oxford Univ. Press; and G. M. Nagao in one of his papers citing "majjhima-nikAya (sutta 28)")

We can look at this doctrine not as competing with but as complementary to advaita.

ananta