[Advaita-l] The essence of advaita

S Jayanarayanan sjayana at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 24 19:26:57 CDT 2007

Prabha,

Your question(s) can be rephrased as: "If the Supreme Self is of the
very nature of Itself, how can it come under Ignorance? If not the
Self, who or what is the locus of Ignorance?"

The above are very valid question(s), and the way that advaita
handles the question(s) is to categorize Ignorance as
neither-reality-nor-unreality. In other words:

  Self: Reality
  Maya: Neither Reality nor Unreality

The above does not violate the basic conclusion of advaita that
Reality is One, because Maya is relegated to a lower status than
Reality.

As for answering your original question directly: Yes, it is the Self
that is the locus of Ignorance.

But how is the above compatible with the fact that the Self is of the
very nature of Wisdom of Itself?

According to advaita, the Self is One, and It is of the very nature
the Knowledge of Itself. It is impossible to destroy the Self, just
as it is impossible to destroy the Knowledge of the Self; however it
is possible to cover the Knowledge of the Self and make it appear to
be something that it is not -- through the veiling power of Maya.

An analogy is: it is impossible to destroy the Sun (-> Self) by an
ordinary human being, and it is equally impossible to stop the Sun
from giving out Sunlight (-> Self-knowledge) by an ordinary human
being, but it is nevertheless possible for a human being to prevent
Sunlight from reaching a spot by "hiding" the spot from the Sun by a
shield. Thus, Maya can neither destroy the Atman, nor destroy
Atma-GYAna, but it can however make Atma-GYAna appear like something
else -- i.e. the Jagat.

The above is of course a short discussion, but I hope it helped to
clarify at least some of the doubts.

Thanks,
Kartik