[Advaita-l] giving up of karma

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 12 17:54:38 CDT 2007

> saNyAsins...But who cares for these type of saNyAsi-s nowadays :-)) if at
> all anybody comes alone for alms on streets wearing kAshAya vastra, we
> treat him as begger not a *mumukshu* saNyAsi :-)) To treat him as a
> *respected saNyAsi*, he should have atleast 2-3 educational institutions,
> hospitals under his belt, should be always surrounded by his disciples,
> should be often visited by polyticians for AshirvAdam, should have the
> branches of his ashram all over the world, last but not the least he should
> have good command over English to appease the intellecutual brains...then
> only we treat him as a saNyAsi. I think, that is the reason why, our
> matAdhipati-s, peetAdhipati-s nowadays have become big business tycoons &
> great orators and parallelly spending some free time towards saNyAsa dharma
> just to maintain the saNyAsi status in society:-)) There are some
> exceptions, I am not denying that...but generally that is what we see in
> today's world & perception of the public on saNyAsi goes like this...

This is indeed a problem in today's society. Being a maThAdhipati and retaining the
ideal of saMnyAsa to the best extent possible is a highly challenging thing in any
age and is perhaps more so today, given the state of communication technology.
Sadly, if we who live in civil society only offer respect to the commercially successful
swamis, then there is great danger of the very ideal getting lost. It then becomes the
responsibility of those of us who know otherwise, to lead by example.

Regards,
Vidyasankar