[Advaita-l] jnAna-vijnAna, gradations in Atma jnAna

NARAYANA MURTHY malahanikareswara at yahoo.co.in
Sun Mar 11 23:49:58 CDT 2007

Dear Bhaskar Prabhu.

  I have been learning Shankara bhashyam for the past one year.  My knowledge of the same is much lower than in this regard that of you.  I am learning it from teachers who teach them from traditional perspective.  Although restrained by teachers, students sometime go for external references.

  Hope you would have noted my early mail where in I have very clearly stated that is SSS is Pujaneeya for me.

  Its no secret that Sh.SSS has named vykhyana karthas after Sureswaracharya like a procession of blind men leading a procession of blind.  Whereas I take it as an abuse, I have not failed to note Sh.Stig lundgren explaining that this phrase is not intended as an abuse.

  Being a learner, I should have a clear choice of what to read and what not to read at this stage so that I get a clear grasp.

  It is in this context, I remember Sh.rama's post wherein Sh.Rama was telling Sh.Sannidanam terming Sh.SSS an asampradayavit.  Please note the same way blind procession is not an offensive statement, if you grasp the reasoning behind *asampradayavit* - that the works of Sh.SSS is away or intended to be away from latter vykhyanakarthas, which is quite obvious you won't find any offense.

  It would not be out of context to mention that I read with much interest views and counter views given by you, Sh,.Stig lundgren, Sh.Rama and Sh.Karthik.  Many of the quotations helps me to recollect what I am taught in the class .

  May be when I get a better grasp of vedanta, I would go for Sh.SSS's books.  At this stage, what is good for me is what is prescribed to me by our teachers.

  Note again that Sh.SSS is pujaneeya being a yathi as I mentioned in the earlier mail.

  wishing to read more of your views

  With warm regards
  N.Murthy