[Advaita-l] jnAna-vijnAna, gradations in Atma jnAna,

Ravishankar Venkatraman sunlike at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 10 15:03:33 CST 2007

>From: Praveen <bhatpraveen at gmail.com>
>>
>praveen: IMHO, those are not so simple terms there. It really
>surprises me, if not with immense hurting, to see sampradAya being
>brought down, even if unintentionally, to the level of "nothing to do
>with the direct experience of Brahman or the realization of the Self".
>sampradAya keeps the sannyAsa paramparA alive which traditionally (as
>I understand) is the first step of learning vedAnta, towards moksha.

Sampradaya is following SanyAsa Dharma per scriptural injunctions. Of
course, they are the adhikArIs for Vedanta study also. Bhamati or Vivarana
traditionally have been accepted in Vedanta study, no question about that at
all. However, direct experience has nothing to do with these two schools.
People have experienced Brahman before these two streams came into existance
and they continue to do so after their existance. In that way, they have
nothing to do with direct experience of Brahman. I hope that makes it clear.

>that it contradicts what you tried to voice earlier: if sampradAya
>itself is something that has nothing to do with moksha, why care

I do not think I meant any thing of that sort.

>praveen: Some may have good reasons for that and I don't think that
>should make them bad AstikAs.

Well, we should examine the reason for that reason. If that is making us
spiritually evolve, that would certainly make sense to do so.

Thanks,
Ravi