[Advaita-l] Brief speech in Sanskrit

Ajit Krishnan ajit.krishnan at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 09:26:05 CDT 2007

namaste,

> To start with, if you differentiate between CHAndasam . . .
> but the custom of treating those as Arshaprayogas . . .
> we are talking only about the refined language.

This leads to a very narrow definition of samskritam.
If not Kalidasa, what are the examples of pure Sanskrit literature?

> is not linked to whether grammar came first or language first . . .

It leads us to conclude with some certainly, that the grammars
available to us were preceeded by the spoken language.

> * The ancient Indian custom of reverence for accomplished persons of the past has to be seen as a desire for maintaining high standards,

Again, agreed.

> You might observe that persons who have such high regard tend to have more
> SraddhA in what they do and end up achieving more; Sri Jaladhar is
> definitely one such.

Certainly, and such persons are to be commended for it. But too many
who might have otherwise been succesful, give up along the way.

> the Arya Samaj and RSS Sanskrit has so many 'astis'
> Or, take the word order.
> dual number is urged to be ignored;
> the usage of verbs is severely restricted with preferences for participles like kritavAn and paThitavAn; and so on.

Please do read some of the works of Sri Chamu Krishna Shastry. For
example, the article "sarala-samskritham katham" in the booklet
"idamittham". The reason is that it mentions such points as you have
above. However, one other expression, sprinkled liberally throughout
the article is "aarambha-stare". They're goal is not a-panini
samskritam, nor is it some diluted samskritam. They simply present a
staged approach to samskritam. Samskrita-Bharati, in recent times, has
been a party to reviving the ancient practice of "shalAkA-parIkShA-s"
.  .  .

bhavadIyaH,

             ajit