[Advaita-l] "dharma" in the alaatashaanti prakaraNa of the Maa.Kaa

Ramesh Krishnamurthy rkmurthy at gmail.com
Sun Jun 10 23:57:00 CDT 2007

namaskAraH,

IMO, the term dharma is often used in the context of entities that
have (or appear to have or are thought to have) some kind of distinct
intrinsic nature (svabhAva). For example, it is often said that the
dharma of the sun is to shine, of fire to burn, etc. As the jIva (or
the elements that make up a jIva) also have (or appear to have)
svabhAva, the term dharma may used to mean jIva also.

Our scholarly members may comment on whether the above understanding is correct.

Ramesh