[Advaita-l] Fw: How shruti is antya pramANa in advaita, vEdAnta??

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 9 09:46:01 CDT 2007

Dear Sri Manian,

I am still catching up on responding to list postings, so pardon the delay
in my responses.

>I have faith and belief in Sruti. I have read and understood "aham
>brahmAsmi", but I still see duality.
>Why is that? I am still doing mediatation to internalize the Sruti vAkya
>hoping this will end the duality.
>So can you please be kind enough to explain how Sruti and anubhava are
>one and the same?

The situation is like this. I don't claim that Sruti and anubhava are the
same, but that they will culminate in the same thing, when it comes to
realization.

There is one kind of person (very rare, of course), who immediately
understands, knows, realizes and is brahman, as soon as the Sruti is taught
to him. For this person, nothing else is necessary; no meditation, no pUjA,
no karma-yoga, no formal initiation into the rank of a monk (sannyAsin).

There is another kind of person, who understands the Sruti at an
intellectual level only. There are multiple ways to go from this stage. For
example, if this person has no faith that the Sruti is indicating a deep
truth, he will ignore it or ridicule it and go about his life in other ways.
If this person has faith, he can still cling to his experience of duality
and interpret the Sruti in accordance with that and deny the non-dual import
of Sruti. Or if he has faith, or even just a curiosity to find out what
Sruti is talking about, he can go through the time-honored and time-tested
regimen of karma-yoga, nishkAmya karma, etc. leading to formal renunciation,
dhyAna yoga and finally to jnAna.

There is the third kind of person, and the vast majority of us fall in this
category, who simply refuses to think about what Sruti is saying, even after
hearing it.

For the purposes of this discussion, we are not much concerned with the
third kind, but we have to grant the possibility of the existence of a human
being who belongs to the first kind, at least at a theoretical level.
Clearly, for this person, there is no gap between SravaNa and bramAnubhava.

What happens to the one of the middle kind, who attempts to understand and
internalize the Sruti teaching? Say he or she spends a lot of effort towards
it and finally has the brahmAnubhava. At a personal level, there may be a
sense of satisfaction, happiness, bliss etc. But does this mean we can say
that this experience is necessary to verify the truth of Sruti? We cannot,
because the truth of Sruti is independent of any one person's experience of
the teaching of Sruti. For the same reason, we cannot say that the
discipline followed by this person is the cause of brahman experience.

What is the path to be followed by such a person? Is he or she supposed to
sit and chant "I am brahman" repeatedly, the way one chants some mantra? Or
is he supposed to ritually consecrate brahman in himself, the way we invoke
a divine presence in an image (AvAhana)? Will such exercises make brahman
manifest in this person's experience? The answer to all of this is no. What
is needed is to prepare oneself through mental discipline (e.g. through
yoga), which helps enormously towards developing the qualities necessary to
really comprehend and realize brahman.

Yet, in the final analysis, all the disciplines followed by such a person
help only to remove the many layers of ignorance so that at the end, the
true reality of brahman shines forth. It does not make a previously
non-existent thing to come into being or some completely unknown thing into
the realm of the known. Every single thing in this universe is in essence
brahman. Inasmuch as our own self is never completely unknown to us, but the
essential identity of the self is brahman, every one of us is also never
completely unaware of brahman. Sruti teaches this truth and a person's
brahmAnubhava is an instance of experiencing this truth. The disciplines
assist in leading to this instance, but they are not the direct cause of
brahman experience.

I hope I have not confused you further. Please feel free to ask further
clarifications from the list, as there are many here who will be able to
answer better.

Best regards,
Vidyasankar