on advaita and society (was Re: [Advaita-l] New member, introduction: Asad Mustafa Rizvi)

Amuthan aparyap at gmail.com
Sat Jan 27 22:34:45 CST 2007

namo nArAyaNAya!

dear shrI Kris maNian,

On 1/27/07, Kris Manian <krismanian_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Another question is, if most of the participants in this group agree with
> Amuthan's statement, then is your discussion about Advaita in this group
> for theoritical purposes only? (or an ego trip to show that I know so much
> but I dont practice:-)

the purpose of this and similar lists is to get an overall
intellectual (and hence necessarily theoretical) appreciation of
advaita vedAnta. nothing more, nothing less. appreciation is not the
same as realization. its upto you to back it up with the necessary
effort to realize the truth directly.

regarding saMnyAsa, may i remind you that ramaNa maharShi's definition
of saMnyAsa as the renunciation of the 'i' thought is much more
difficult to attain than physical saMnyAsa? if one is not even
prepared 'mentally' for physical saMnyAsa, how can he hope to root out
the 'i' thought?

vAsudevaH sarvaM,
aparyAptAmRtaH.