RES: [Advaita-l] New member introduction: Asad Mustafa Rizvi

Ramanathan P p_ramanathan at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 27 10:28:27 CST 2007

Sri Ramana exemplified renunciation and non-attachment, and his saintliness is unquestioned in any corner of Hinduism or the world. I believe sincere followers of the "Vishnu God" would revere him as a mahapurusha, for the primary criterion for spiritual greatness is purity and "self"-surrender. The Bhaktha says "surrender to God" and the Jnani says "Surrender". Sri Ramana said that total "self"-surrender is equivalent to final realization.

  As far as Hinduism is concerned, the gratifying quality is that we really do agree that all religious paths lead to the Goal. Our disagreements have a special nature. If you observe, the Advaitin will say that the Dvaitin will indeed by following his/her path reach the final realization of Truth, which is Advaita. We say Advaita after Dvaita. And the Dvaitin/Visishtadvaitin will say that ultimately by following the pursuit of Self, the Advaitin will realize that there is something more: the Absolute Personality of the God-head and eternal distinction of soul and God. Therefore they say Dvaita after Advaita, for the Advaitins.

  The sectarian Hindu's view of others: "Follow your way. It will ulltimately lead to my version of God." It is NEVER: "Follow your way and you will perish."

  Sri Krishna has said that whatever way we approach Him, in that very manner, He will strengthen our faith in Him and guide us. This is the great saving principle of this noble religion.

  Ramanathan

Vishy <vishy1962 at yahoo.com> wrote:
  Rizviji is right to good extent. Ramana is well known and revered by all advaita vedantis, but what is the percentage of advaita vedantis as compared to ritualistic hindus many of whom might not even heard of Ramana. Dwaitic
hindu scholors who could have knowledge of Ramana wont agree with his teachings.

Viswanath

asad mustafa wrote:

Ramesh Krishnamurthy wrote: You are thoroughly mistaken on the above. Ramana Maharshi was a
teacher in the tradition of Advaita-Vedanta (which is why you have
come to this list). The word 'Advaita' is sanskrit for 'not-two' i.e.
non-duality. Advaita-Vedanta is very much a part of mainstream
Hinduism. In fact, if Advaita-Vedanta isnt mainstream Hinduism,
nothing is. Non-duality is an ancient and very well-established
tradition in Hinduism, starting with the Upanishads.

===
In the name of God, most gracious, most merciful.

Dear Mr. Amuthan and Mr. Ramesh:

I may be mistaken about mainstream beliefs of hinduism, but my observation was not without any basis. I personally know quite a few hindus. When I got curious about Ramana Maharishi, I first asked them about him. Frankly, they were as clueless as me. Some of them had vaguely heard Ramana's name, some showed a namesake respect but most of them did not know anything at all about him.

Mind you, I am not talking about irreligious atheist type hindus. I am talking about mainstream, God fearing, temple going hindus. In my circle of hindu friends, I do not know anyone who knows about Ramana Maharishi's teachings. Though it is possible that I might have met a seriously biased sample of hindus yet not very likely. I have a pretty large circle of hindu friends.

It makes me wonder if advaita vedanta is really as prominent in hinduism as you say it is.

Jazakallah
Asad Mustafa Rizvi

For assistance, contact:
listmaster at advaita-vedanta.org