RES: [Advaita-l] New member introduction: Asad Mustafa Rizvi

Ramanathan P p_ramanathan at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 23 19:46:11 CST 2007

>   Dear Viswanathan sir;
>
>   I cannot say anything about other prophetic
> religions but Islam works at several levels. At the
> base level, it is an ethical guide. At the highest
> level, it is a direct experience of divine unity.
> The holy Qura'n declares that He is nearer to you
> than the nearest. The sufi aims to realize his unity
> with Allah (swt) by merging his individual self with
> Him. Hope it helps.
>
>   Jazakallah
>   Asad Mustafa Rizvi

Namaste Sri Rizvi,

I just joined yesterday; your point of realizing unity
with Allah (Ishvara/God?) by merging the soul with Him
is interesting in itself. The point of Sri
Vishwanathan has some relevance, in the sense that
several of our philosophical schools split hairs on
such topics, viewing the final truth from different
angles and asserting that their view of the Truth is
supreme. As I believe, the Saiva Siddhanta philosophy
is  more precisely equivalent to the version of what
you said. More knowledgable members may inform if they
wish. Ultimately, as all the great saints of religions
have confirmed, the "Truth is One. Sages speak of It
variously."

Ramanathan