[Advaita-l] Concept of soul

Mahesh Ursekar mahesh.ursekar at gmail.com
Sun Aug 26 00:50:09 CDT 2007

Pranams Vidyasankar-ji:

>> I believe it would help this discussion if we clarified our basic
assumptions

You have hit the nail on the head. As the famous saying goes - "the devil
(or God) is in the details". My personal view (and this may be naive, please
forgive me for it) is that Vedantic concepts need to be re-examined in the
light of current scientific findings. In my opinion, as secular knowledge
advances, spiritual concepts need a fresh look.

Maybe this was why Sri Ramakrishna was always against his disciples engaging
in scientific or spiritual debates. He explains it using a nice story - if
you want to know the number of trees (words of the scriptures) in a mango
orchard (the world), just ask the owner (God) of the orchard, why spend your
time counting the trees (conceptualy understanding the scriptures)? However,
bound as we are by our vasanas, we prefer to count the trees ourselves!

Thanks, Mahesh