[Advaita-l] Concept of soul

Shrinivas Gadkari sgadkari2001 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 24 08:27:03 CDT 2007

My question was: if you say that the first life-form
was a cell which was enlivened by a subtle body, then
what enlivens the millions of cells in our body?

Namaste,

Here is what I understand on this topic:

We can roughly segment the body into two parts:
1. Cells make up a human/ animal body. Each
cell is enlivened by an individual "cell soul".
2. Jiva-soul enlivens (or possesses) the body made
up of cells.

The cell-souls are free within the constraints
that jiva-soul places on them. (very much like
a group of soldiers are free within the
constraints laid out by their commander).

The way a "cell-soul" would possess a cell
when conditions in the cell are conducive,
a jiva-soul would possess the body when the
conditions in the body are conducive.

Regards,
Shrinivas