[Advaita-l] Discussion on Chaturvidha Purushartha

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 19 09:13:20 CDT 2007

>This is with reference to the Email(August 16,2007) by Sri.C.Gunnala on
>the "Chaturvidha Purushartha".Our Shastras prscribe the four fold tenets
>in the Hindu Dharma."The Dharma","Artha","Kama" and "Moksha" which are
>called the 'Chaturvidha Purusharthas".By the qualification"Purushartha" it
>means that human beings can attain these as the human requirements.Above
>all "the Dharma" is placed highest.Dharma means it is the principal

An added qualification to the above is that moksha is ultimately separate
from the dharma, artha and kAma. This is because the latter three are goals
of human beings within the context of life and death, here and now. Whereas
moksha is a goal of human beings that seeks to transcend life and death.

Regards,
Vidyasankar