[Advaita-l] Advaita practice (fwd)

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Fri Aug 3 21:49:07 CDT 2007

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Lakshminarayana <narayana_kl_71 at yahoo.com>

Namaste to all,

I apologize for asking a personal question, but I want to know how the
honorable members of this list practice advaita in their day to day lives.
I am sure many members here put karma kANDa into practice by means of
daily rituals etc., but my interest is confined to how the honorable
members practice the jNAna kANDa. Do you practice meditation? yoga?
contemplation? Do you try to depersonalize yourself? Do you try to see
everything as brahman?  Do you keep reminding yourself that jagat is
mithya? I am especially interested in knowing how learned members like Sri
Vidyasankar, Sri Jaldhar, Sri Sadananda, Sri Bhaskar, Sri Anand practice
advaita. Sorry if I did not include other names, but I don't know many
members in this list. Of course, other members are also welcome to share
their methods of practice. (Hopefully, I am not sounding rude by asking
such an open question).

The reason why I am asking this is because I want to find a suitable and
consistent method to practice advaita (jNAna-yoga). Sometime back, when I
actually tried to practice advaita by trying to depersonalize myself and
thinking the world as mithya, I went into such a state of apathy that my
mother thought there was something seriously wrong with me. I did not know
how to handle the situation without reverting back to this world. How, for
instance, should such situations be tackled? I really want to know the
experiences of others so that I might learn something from them. Thanks a
lot.

dhanyavAd
-Lakshminarayana