[Advaita-l] Reconciling advatia with bhAgavata dharma

Siva Senani Nori sivasenani at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 12 05:28:26 CDT 2007

Shrinivasji,

Namaste.

----- Original Message ----
From: Shrinivas Gadkari sgadkari2001 at yahoo.com

Path2: One strives to increase ones
understanding of purusottama, and mAyA
shakti. However, the goal is to attain
the state of akSara puruSa.

In path2, since the final goal is an
asymptotic state it is never "attained",
Hence a "difference" between the bhakta
and bhagavAn (akSara puruSa) is always
maintained. Also a "difference" between
one bhakta and other is always maintained.
These statements should be acceptable since
they are made in the context where mAyA
has NOT been (completely) overcome.

Pushing the envelope a bit more, if one were to know of mAyA and its effects, why would one be satisfied with attaining akshara purusha's state only? Why not purshottama's state? Though I have not studied it systematically, I believe this view of viSishTAdvaita is taken by Sri vidyAraNya in his synthesis of various schools. In such a view, this is a path recommended at an early stage in sAdhana, to be supplanted by the more abstract truth.

Senani