[Advaita-l] Sringeri AchAryas on the vivaraNa - the cause of adhyAsa (3)

Praveen bhatpraveen at gmail.com
Thu Apr 5 23:53:28 CDT 2007

praNAm all,

Bhaskar-ji wrote:
> I have a very simple question here...If mUlAvidya covering the reality of
> the self, this mUlAvidyA cannot be removed by any amount of knowledge
> obtained by jIva...Because as per above the Darkness or mUlAvidyA has the
> capacity to cover even the reality of the self!! brahman himself/itself
> should have to remove this mUlAvidyA since it pertains to him!!

praveen:
My line of thinking is so:
If jIvo brahmaiva nA para and brahmavid brahmaiva bhavati, then why
not? So, capacity to cover even the reality of the self "for whom"
(hidden from whom?) is to be added to understand the statement better.
That jIvA which has become (figuratively) brahmaN, does not remain
covered by mUlAvidyA. Therefore, ajnAna is false knowledge thats a
positive entity making the jIvA identification and bindings thereof,
which is removed by jnAna, a positive, true knowledge.

Bhaskar-ji wrote:
> Because no one says
> that when I know the rope, the encompassed avidyA on the rope is removed!!!
> It is quite natural & logical to say that I have got a right knowledge of
> rope and my ignorance about it now gone!!

praveen: The ignorance about the rope, if negative entity, would only
mean "not-understanding that its a rope", why would it be "projection
of the snake"? That positive presence of the snake brings in the
argument of false knowledge. And any true knowledge destroys false
knowledge, be the latter positive. In this case, the knowledge of the
rope and removal of the projected snake is a single thing.

Kartik-ji, prime number was a good example, thanks.

shankarArpaNamastu,
--praveeN