[Advaita-l] hastamalaka [further]

jiva das jivadas3 at yahoo.ca
Mon Sep 25 20:58:23 CDT 2006

The Hastamalaka Stotra has been translated in this form, with this Introduction by Ramana Maharshi, whose feet I kiss:

  "When Shankara, the Guru of the world, was travelling in the western parts of India and overcoming [in debate] the expounders of the various schools of thought, he once came to a village known as Srivali http://www.chitrapurmath.net/srivali_highschool_Jan2005.htm

  When a Brahmana inhabitant of the village named Prabhakara heard about his arrival he went to him with his thirteen-year-old son. He prostrated before Shankara and made his son also prostrate.

  He then explained that his son had been mute [could not speak] since childhood, that he had no likes or dislikes, nor a sense of honor or dishonor, and that he was completely inactive. {We would call him today "retarded".]

  The Guru then raised him up and asked him this friendly question:

  +++

  [See next post]

May the long-time sun shine upon you,
all love surround you,