[Advaita-l] Yoga and Advaita Vedanta - 0

Sundar Rajan avsundarrajan at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 24 23:49:54 CDT 2006

Namaste Vidyasankar,

  Look forward to your analysis. I thought once or twice during the last few weeks of creating a 'misconceptions' list on the other 'advaitin'  but never got around to it.

  One of the first things to tackle is the 'terminology' - here is as an example of mixing Patanjali Yoga with Nirvikalpa samadhi
  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/advaitin/message/33262

  //
  > 3. Those who talk about Nirvikalpa samadhi as defined in Patanjali
> Yoga as the direct means of AtmajnAna are at variance with Adi
> Shankaras teaching because NS or Dhyana is not accepted as a
> pramAna> by Shankara or any other Acharya.

  (SR reply):
First, some clarifications on nomenclature:

Nirvikalpa Samadhi is NOT a term used in Patanjali Yoga sutras and
linking Nirvikalpa Samadhi to Patanjali causes confusions (IMHO).
//

  regards
  Sundar Rajan