[Advaita-l] Ayyappa and Venkateshvara

Abhishek RK rkabhi at gmail.com
Thu Sep 14 10:00:48 CDT 2006

Namaste,

Regarding a few questions regarding ayyappa and venkaTeshvara that
were recently raised, the pramANa for both these deities are the
purANas and/or the sthaLa purANas. Now since the purANas have
themselves been mentioned in the vedas along with nItis, kalpas,
gAthas (which are records or genealogies of royal dynasties or may
refer to the Zend Avesta of which gAthas are an important part. See:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gathas) and other texts, all these texts
are held as perfectly valid pramANas. But a word of caution here:
those smR^itis that are against the vedas cannot be followed.

Of course, apart from the purANas, we have the local traditions of
keraLa and Andhra, which certainly stretch hundreds of years or more
in age, that affirm the status of ayyappa as being an aMsha of viShNu
and shiva and of venkaTeshvara being viShNu. ayyappa was primarily a
deity of the natives of keraLa and venkaTeshavara of Andhra. It is
only recently that people from all over bhArata and indeed all over
the world have started visiting these temples in shabarimala and
tirupati. Of course, apart from these temples, there are temples for
these deities all over bhArata and recently all over the world too.

Regards,
Abhishek

--
tasmAttvamuttiShTha yasho labhasva
jitvA shatrUn bhu~NkShva rAjyaM samR^iddham|