[Advaita-l] Age/History of Sankara

vijay kartik vijaykartik_2004 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 10 00:29:17 CDT 2006

Dear Shridharji,

  For the references to Abhinava Shankara as the one who actually ascended Sarvajna Peetham at Kashmir, kindly refer to the section in the kanchi mutt website about the Guru Parampara

  About the reference to Krpa SHankara being the one who did a digvijaya all over India, winning scholars and reestablishing Shanmata- again refer to the same portion of the website.

  About the reference that it was not the original SHankara but the later Acharyas of the Kanchi parampara who actually drove out Jainism -again please refer to the same website

  If the website administrator has put these sections without the authority of the mutt, I cant help it

B Shridhar <kameshwarii at gmail.com> wrote:
    /8/06, vijay kartik wrote:

> It is indeed strange that you are not aware of this 5 Sankaras theory
> which is propounded by none other than the Kanchi Mutt itself.
>
> One reference is in our own List archives. please refer:
>
> http://advaita-vedanta.org/archives/advaita-l/2003-August/012821.html

You are basing your theory on the article which appeared on advaita-L who
inturn reproduced a part of some author's book who claim that kanchi mutt
follows such tradition ?
How did that author conclude about this prevailing tradition at the kanchi
mutt?
Now what is the locus standing of that author based on which you concluded
that such tradition is being followed by the kanchi mutt ?
Where has it been documented in the kanchi mutt that they follow this
tradition.
I expected much more mature and stringent argument rather than such hearsay
stories.
In this sense, I feel you are no better than the innumerable fanatics of
each mutt who engage in mud slinging on each other's mutt.

For eg, if Sankara is claimed to have lived 2500 years ago, did he live
> before Buddha and therefore did not deserve the epithet ' Bouddha matha
> kandana"

There has been some quarters claiming the birth of buddha to be around 2,800
years. This seminar on age of buddha was conducted about 3 years back in
mumbai when they concluded thus. Further the site recommended by sri shyam
subramanian makes interesting reading too (www.easterntradition.org)

Again, some of the books the Kanchi Mutt rely on refer to Sankara having
> been born in Chidambaram! How to defend this?

Please clarify which books the kanchi mutt rely on. Further in case the
kanchi mutt relied on chidambaram as adi sankara's birth place then why do
they have a adi sankara sthupi at kaladi - it should have been at
chidambaram. Also why are they celebrating the sankara jayanthi at kaladi
instead of chidambaram ? Please forward facts instead of fiction.

Again Kanchi Mutt says Samkara ascended Sarvagna Peetha in Kanchi and not
> at Kashmir as tradition used to say.

Some mutts like the sringeri say that adi sankara accended the sarvagna
peetam at kedarnath, some mutt say the place to be kashmir and others like
the kanchi mutt claim it is at kanchi. So you mean that sringeri, dwarka
and kanchi dont follow tradition by claiming a place different from
kashimir ? Now what do you call as tradition ??

  I dont think Sringeri mutt says Shankara ascended Sarvajna Peethem at Kedarnath

Again if Sankara is back dated to 2500 years, how to counter the claim that
> then some of the slokas and works do not appear that old?

How do slokas appear old ?? do they grow a beard ???

Again come out with a claim that some of the works written by later
> Sankara like Krpa Sankara and Abhinava seem to be confused with Adi
> Sankara's works.
>
> Most of the above are still found even in the Kanchi mutt website.

Who claimed as above ? Has the kanchi mutt site declared that they shall
present only works of adi sankara on their site and the works of the other
acharyas are not going to be published ?

I read Muka Panchashati as part of my Sanskrit literature class and also
> History of Sanskrit literature syllabus. I can still try to get reference of
> these text books .

You informed that when you learnt muka panchasati, there had been no
reference to muka kavi being a part of the kanchi parampara. But that
argument is not sufficient to prove that muka kavi did not belong to the
kanchi mutt. Dont you think so ?

What about the Kanchi Mutt version about Vidya Theertha and Vedanta
> Desika?

Kanchi mutt should answer that..

I would beg your assistance in getting this clarified. Being such a strong believer of the Mutt's traditions, I hope you will be able to get the clarifications from the authorities concerned. Thanks in advance.

You should be aware that even in the recent years books elaborating on
> some of the above " theories" are being published by the Kanchi Mutt.

Please give references of the books when you mention thus..

So tempering and concern about threat to Hinduism should start with
> everyone.
>
> We are after all a forum with a few hundred truth-seekers.

Is this the way you seek truth ???

It will be clear from the above that certainly I am not the one with
> admirable fantasizing skills.

you bet !!!

listmaster at advaita-vedanta.org