[Advaita-l] Difference between waking and dream states

Viswanathan N vishy1962 at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 21 23:53:54 CDT 2006

"Thinking in sleeping state is Dreaming and Dreaming in waking state is Thinking"

  So both are as real or rather  unreal as the each other.Than the third state (shushpthi) both are not there, but you are also not there to experience anything.  unless you go beyond all these three states you cant experience anything real.

  Pranams
  Viswanath

vishwanthan Krishnamoorthy <krishvishy at yahoo.com> wrote:

This is explained in the drishti-srishti vaadham
(based on my understanding, and I may be wrong here),

the analogy here is that the waking state is as real
as the dream state and as the dream state is unreal
(this is an acceptable statement and does not require
proof) so is the waking state.

by shifting the problem from proving that the waking
state does not exist, we just need to prove that the
waking state is as real as the dream state, which can
be logically derived by reasoning, by bringing out the
similarities in the two states.

regards
Vishwam

--- S Venkatraman wrote:

> Shastriji
> Apologies for mispelling your name.I noticed it only
> after hitting the send
> button. praNAms,
> Venkat
>

> On 10/21/06, S Venkatraman
> wrote:
> >
> > Namaste Shstriji,
> >
> > In your original post you had stated that from the
> standpoint of absolute
> > reality both waking and dream states are mithya by
> which I understand that
> > their reality or existence is only relatively real
> and not absolutely real.
> > That they are subject to arrival and departure and
> are not nitya.
> >
> > The above statement of yours - that they are
> mithya - appears to me as
> > more correct than the one you make in the next
> post - that they do not have
> > any existence. If they do not have any existence
> how can there be any
> > experience of them at all?
> >
> > Where am I going wrong in my understanding? Would
> be grateful if you could
> > clarify.
> >
> > praNAms,
> > Venkat
> >

> > On 10/19/06, S.N. Sastri
> wrote:
> > >
> > > My article on this subject sent a little while
> ago needs correction.Thelast
> > > sentence should be: from the standpoint of
> absolute reality neither the
> > > waking state nor the dream state has any
> existence.
> > > I am sorry for the mistake.
> > > S.N.Sastri
> > >
> > > For assistance, contact: