[Advaita-l] Samnyasa directly by the Jagadguru

venkata subramanian venkat_advaita at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 10 07:21:00 CDT 2006

I have also read that Mahamhopadhyaya Karungulam Krishna Sastrigal too came to Sringeri with his friend Hanagal Virupaksha Sasthrigal; for requesting the Jagadguru to grant him Samnyasa; but the Jagadguru (Sri Chandra Shekhara Bharathi Mahaswamigal) did not consent.

Sankaran Aniruddhan wrote:
namaste,

> He indeed approached the Sringeri Math for taking
> Samnyasa, but at that time it was Sri Jagadguru
> Chandrashekhara Bharathi Swaminaha, who did not consent.
> Only after that he took from one Bodanandendra
> Saraswathi.

I believe it is a custom of the sringeri matha that only
the Successor to the AcArya is initiated into sannyasa by
the AcArya Himself. I remember reading this in one of the
works on Chandrashekhara Bharati Swamigal (I don't remember
the exact reference).

Aniruddhan

Sruti smRti purANAnAm Alayam karuNAlayam
namAmi bhagavatpAda Sam.karam lokaSam.karam

For assistance, contact:
listmaster at advaita-vedanta.org

Thanks & Regards,
Venkat.