[Advaita-l] Appealing to tradition (was Pa~nchapAdikAchArya)

Abhishek RK rkabhi at gmail.com
Wed Oct 4 02:49:20 CDT 2006

Namaste,

On 10/4/06, jagannathan mahadevan <jagannathan.mahadevan at gmail.com> wrote:
> I do not disagree with you that we cannot rely on fallacious
> arguments. However what I want to point out is that the website does
> not establish fallacy (of appeal to age old which they have termed as
> tradition).

The website does not matter. There are certain logical fallacies that
we all should avoid. Appealing to tradition (like appealing to
novelty) is one such fallacy. For example, some claim that such and
such a religion is true because it is so old. No advaitin makes such a
claim as far as I know. Instead all the advaita authors base their
philosophy on certian pramANas, which is a different matter
altogether. That is all I had in mind when I said appealing to
tradition is a fallacy.

Regards,
Abhishek
--
tasmAttvamuttiShTha yasho labhasva
jitvA shatrUn bhu~NkShva rAjyaM samR^iddham|