[Advaita-l] Age/History of Sankara

vishwanthan Krishnamoorthy krishvishy at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 2 17:34:37 CDT 2006

I fail to understand the point of this thread,

As a sadhaka, it is immaterial to ascertain the origin
or creator of a theory on fundamental truths (such as
the works (attributed to) of Sankara), it should
suffice if the theory has merits and if it is
applicable at all times.

To probe into any aspects other than the works of
Sankara such as age/time of birth/the number of Mutts
established etc are only of cosmetic value.

for example knowing that Sankara was born in Kaladi
does not help me in my quest for Mukti, or knowing
that He traveled all over India 4 times in 32 years
increases my respect for him but does provide any
additional information on his beliefs in Advaita.

What can be said about one person is true for a Mutt
too, the fact that a Mutt was established by Sankara
gives it a historical significance but does not imply
that allegiance to it will lead to Mukti case in point
being of the four (maybe five) Mutts established by
Sankara, one is all but extinct, two have succession
issues.

there is an important point touched upon by
Vidyasankar, that being, earlier, only those who
genuinely felt capable of expressing a qualified
opinion, wrote a bhashyam. However now, every one who
has an opinion takes upon him/herself to write a
commentary which further obfuscates the original work
As said by A.Pope, "a little knowledge is a dangerous
thing, Drink deep or touch not the Pierian Spring"

regards
Vishwam