doubt on the role of shruti vAkyAs ( was Re: [Advaita-l] advaita and vedas)

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at hotmail.com
Sun May 21 17:45:17 CDT 2006

>              Well, I found this verse to be containing nearly all the
>wisdom and is capable of calming all the questions and answers....
>   Karthikji, Can you please check if it is "lokamamuM." Or if you can
>separate the word as "sandhi viccheda." I couldn't separate it and see the
>actual meaning. If you are not able to find the source, it's ok. I was just
>curious.

I don't know if this grammar question ever got addressed in this thread, so
here goes.

lokaM + amuM = that world (dvitIyA vibhakti, accusative case). The root is
adas = that, which has a very irregular declension. In the masculine, it
gets transformed to asau (e.g. asau vai tapann apAm Ayatanam) in the
nominative case up to amushmin (amushminl loke) in the locative case. Please
refer a good Skt grammar companion for full details.

Regards,
Vidyasankar