[Advaita-l] Re: doubt on the role of shruti vAkyAs : Liberation

Prasad Ramamurthy Kadambi kaupeenavanta at gmail.com
Sun May 14 09:06:15 CDT 2006

Namaste,

On 5/13/06, Vidyasankar Sundaresan <svidyasankar at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Shri Wadhwa,
>
> Why is it being assumed that traditional renunciation is limited to house,
> people and property? Why is it being assumed that the traditional
> renunciation does not extend to the mind and its constructions? Why is it
> also being assumed that a newly created emphasis on mental renunciation is
> superior? Also, please let me know if this focus on mental renunciation
> leaves intact the previous externals such as house and property and
> friends
> and relatives?
>
> Don't take this personally, as these questions are meant generally for
> many
> others on this list too. Too often we see, on this list, people devaluing
> traditional renunciation and all its associated symbols, while privileging
> an entirely new concept that it is somehow enough to renounce mentally.
>
> While I appreciate that traditional renunciation has often been abused by
> many, I would also say that the modern conception is even more prone to
> abuse by self-delusional people. It is not at all easy to renounce the
> externals of home, family and money if one has also not mentally renounced
> everything. On the other hand, it is easy for the mind to fool itself into
> believing whatever it pleases. Call us stick-in-the-mud or whatever else,
> but there are strong reasons why so many of us on this list value our
> tradition highly.

Really well said I *do* agree. I just wanted to supplement one thing, that
the  completely renounced  person  need not prove  his  mental
renunciation  because that  is  what  we are  witnessing  from  Sringeri
Jagadguru  lineage.   If  we really  observe them from  the vicinity,  we
can  assure ourselves.

--
sada shiva samarambham Shankaracharya madhyamam !

asmadacharya paryantham vande guru paramparam !!