[Advaita-l] Re: doubt on the role of shruti vAkyAs : Liberation

Viswanathan N vishy1962 at yahoo.com
Sun May 14 00:11:33 CDT 2006

Vidyashankarji

  Renunication is not at all complete without that of "I" (Ego) and "the mind" whcih creates this. Once this happens everything would automatically happen.Untill than all the external renunication just remain symbolic and wud not lead to anything. Krishna was infact the renunicate of the highest order despite his wives/ physical possesions. Can anyone deny this!!!

Vidyasankar Sundaresan <svidyasankar at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Renounce- I said,
> He said, I renounced,
> I asked, "What"
> He said, "house and property"
> Renounce- I said,
> He said, I renounced,
> I asked, "What"
> He said, "friends and relatives etc."
> Renounce- I said,
> He said, I renounced,
> I asked, "What"
> He said, "clothes and everything else"
> Renounce- I said,
> He said, I renounced,
> I asked, "What"
> He said, "everything did I, what else is left"
> I said, "Renounce, your mind and whatever is is to be renounced
>from your mind,and what

Dear Shri Wadhwa,

Why is it being assumed that traditional renunciation is limited to house,
people and property? Why is it being assumed that the traditional
renunciation does not extend to the mind and its constructions? Why is it
also being assumed that a newly created emphasis on mental renunciation is
superior? Also, please let me know if this focus on mental renunciation
leaves intact the previous externals such as house and property and friends
and relatives?

Don't take this personally, as these questions are meant generally for many
others on this list too. Too often we see, on this list, people devaluing
traditional renunciation and all its associated symbols, while privileging
an entirely new concept that it is somehow enough to renounce mentally.

While I appreciate that traditional renunciation has often been abused by
many, I would also say that the modern conception is even more prone to
abuse by self-delusional people. It is not at all easy to renounce the
externals of home, family and money if one has also not mentally renounced
everything. On the other hand, it is easy for the mind to fool itself into
believing whatever it pleases. Call us stick-in-the-mud or whatever else,
but there are strong reasons why so many of us on this list value our
tradition highly.

Vidyasankar

For assistance, contact:
listmaster at advaita-vedanta.org