[Advaita-l] Ashtavakra Gita (formerly tradition and adwaita)

K Kathirasan NCS kkathir at ncs.com.sg
Mon May 8 01:05:22 CDT 2006

Namaste Vishyji,

I have gone thru the Ashtavakra Samhita (or Gita) a couple of times. In
no way does that text contradict the Advaita Vedanta tradition as
presented by Amuthanji. Ashtavakra Samhita is not for a beginner of
Vedanta. It is meant for a seeker who has completed 1. Shravana and
conducting 2. Manana or 3. Nididhyasana.

1. Shravana - Listening to the Advaita Siddhanta, rooted in the
Upanishads, as taught by a qualified Guru. A qualified Guru has to be a
shrotriya brahmanishta (versed in the Vedas & established in the
knowledge of Brahman). Such a Guru knows how to wield the methods
(prakriyas) such that the seeker's ignorance is removed adequately. I
would recommend you to look thru the first part (prose portion) of the
Upadesha Sahasri by Shankara. In this text you can see how the teacher
uses the Upanishads skilfully to reveal the knowledge of Atma = Brahman.

2. Manana - If the ignorance is not removed by Shravana, the seeker has
to do Manana. Here the knowledge gained in Shravana helps one to arrive
at the complete understanding of oneself. Manana can be termed as vicara
(enquiry) using the aids of logic and reasoning upon what has been
learnt during Shravana. Here the teacher may aid the seeker or can be
done independently with the knowledge gained from the Guru. Complete
Knowledge can also take place in this stage.

3. Nididhyasana - This is for a seeker who is yet to gain the knowledge
from Manana. Nididhyasana is establishment of the knowledge of oneself
by removing habitual notions. In this stage, Ashtavakra Samhita can be
of a great help. Contemplation (nididhyasana) on the teachings of the
Samhita can be of a great help to remove all residual notions of the
non-self to abide in the Self.

The above triple 'sadhana' need not be successive. Manana and
Nididhyasana can also happen at the same time while listening to the
teachings (shravana). The assimilation of knowledge also depends very
much on the preparedness (adhikara) of the seeker. However, to study the
Ashtavakra Gita before doing Shravana can pose a danger in assuming the
very means of knowledge (pramana), which is the words of the Upanishads,
to be unimportant. It would be like discarding the boat even before
crossing the river.

Kathirasan