[Advaita-l] Re: source of mAyA?

Viswanathan N vishy1962 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 29 03:08:35 CST 2006

What shri. Adithya is saying is the crux of Advaitha.
  I certainly understand ....but they say mere undersatnding is not enough
  but u have to realise it by experience....

  what to experience? where? how?

  Its also said that knowledge is the light by which drkness of maya disappears..

  once after knowing..what more?

Aditya Varun Chadha <adichad at gmail.com> wrote:
  actually I think my issue is also a bit about advaitin metaphysics.
The whole point is that brahman alone exists, is non-spacial,
non-temporal, quality-less.

now, let's NOT ask where mAyA came from or why. But just consider that
the duality is an "illusion". this just means that an "illusion"
exists and is "percieved" by illusion (itself). now the personal mind
is part of this illusion, "perceiving" itself and the rest of mAyA.
brahman, of course, is not affected by all this "activity" in mAyA.
upon Realization, part of this illusion is simply killed. but does
that reduce mAyA?

I am inclined to make an analogy between brahman and "mass-energy".
mass-energy is always conserved, and is unchanging as a whole. only
within the illusion of space-time, this mass-energy takes up different
forms giving a temporary illusion of internal seperation. This
continuous transformation can be seen as mAyA. The essence of all
existence is mass-energy. The Atman (individual self) is also
mass-energy, and since the seperation is only temporary and an
illusion, this mass-energy is that mass-energy, no difference.

How far is this analogy correct? Can we take it so far as to say that
we are beginning to understand the crux of advaita in somewhat
physical terms? Where does the analogy end?

--
Aditya Varun Chadha
adichad AT gmail.com

For assistance, contact: