[Advaita-l] My Questions and My Mails

Viswanathan N vishy1962 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 22 01:52:59 CST 2006

In one of the mails, some one had suggested to go thru the lectures of Shri.Chandrasehkhara sarswathi swamiji (of sringeri) on Vedas and suggeted a site on which they are available. I am sorry to say, I missed to take note of that website ..can u pl mail me the web site address, oncwe again

  Regards
  Viswanath

Abhishek RK <rkabhi at gmail.com> wrote:
  Namaste,

> But with great hesitation I wud like to put one point before you....
> I have read various english traslations of VEDAS .(.due to lack of
> sansrit knowledge). I am afraid to say that I didnt fine much of meaningful
> stuff in the karma kanda of any vedas except in very few places (Rig only
> praising agni, vayu, Indra, soma...etc and yajur just talking about rituals,
> nothing more I want to say) (again not cosidering uanishads as part of
> vedas)

I understand that reading english translations will not be enough to come to
a point of appreciating the vedas. One thing you could do is to learn few of
the basic suktams (if you haven't done so already). It has to be noted that
especially in Yajur Veda there are two levels of meaning namely, vacyArtha
(apparent meaning) and lakShYartha (actual or intended meaning). Now all of
the english translations were made by interested parties who certainly were
not favourable to the Hindu religion. So IMHO it is very difficult to make
out any sense of their translations. The lakShyartha will be determined by
repeated chanting of and meditation on the mantras. So if you are desirous
of knowing the meaning of the vedas (including upanishads) better you
actually learn them and try to find out the meaning yourself.

> Such being case why Vedas are given such an importance and reverence.
> May be the original parts are missing..... may be the error in
> translations (read many translations and almost all are similar)

See above.

Pl dont mistake me for raising this ..its genune doubt and I am noy just
> being sceptical.pl note that I am also from orhodax Bhramin family and
> started seeking truth for past 4-5 years.
>
> Can you throw bit light on this please.

Hope this helps. Any errors in the above are mine alone.

Pranams
> Viswanath

Regards,
Abhishek

--
satyena dhAryate pRthvi satyena tapate raviH|
satyena vAti vAyushca sarvaM satye pratishThitam||

calA lakShmIshcalAH prANAshcalaM jIvita yauvanaM|
calAcale ca saMsAre dharma eko hi nishcalaH||

For assistance, contact:
listmaster at advaita-vedanta.org