[Advaita-l] discussion about panchayatan puja

Abhishek RK rkabhi at gmail.com
Thu Mar 16 10:18:44 CST 2006

Namaste,

Some of the members here said that karma-kanda is "use-less" etc. I would
encourage such people to study the karma-kanda.

Also I had the impression that the samhita, brahmana and aranyaka are
usually put in karma-kanda. I request the members to correct me here if I am
wrong.

Nevertheless if this is the case, then we have much to gain even from the
karma-kanda in light of j~nAna also. For example taittiriya brahmanam (kanda
1, prasna/prapathaka 2) says "aham tvadasmi madasi tvametat| maimaiva
yonistava yonirasmi||". (I request the members to kindly translate this).
Such gems are found everywhere in samhita, brahmana and aranyaka. Also even
sannyasis chant Sri Rudrasuktam which is part of 4th kanda of taittitriya
samhita. So, I feel as far as karma-kanda goes, it is helpful in both
guiding the karmas of first three ashramas as well as in j~nAna. One would
do well to remember shrI kRShNa's statement "na sannyasanAdeva siddhiM
samadhigacchati" Man does not reach perfection merely by ceasing to act
(gIta 3.4).

Regards,
Abhishek

--
satyena dhAryate pRthvi satyena tapate raviH|
satyena vAti vAyushca sarvaM satye pratishThitam||

calA lakShmIshcalAH prANAshcalaM jIvita yauvanaM|
calAcale ca saMsAre dharma eko hi nishcalaH||