[Advaita-l] Seeking God

Santhosh Nair santhosh_twin at rediffmail.com
Wed Mar 8 05:18:17 CST 2006

Hi All,

This is a request to all members of this group. To whoever can give an answer to my questions.
Before asking the questions that I have, I should mention that I know absolutely nothing about vedas. I only have the knowledge of God throug the stories that I have heard. I know Ramayana and Mahabharata. Nothing more. Have heard and learned about the life of Adi Shankaracharya. But just a brief summary. I'm not very well versed with his teachings. I tried to learn about God, Vedas etc but the more I read, the more I get confused.

So is there anyone who would be ready to help a very very confused soul?

How should one live according to Advaita? Whom should one pray to? Is someone allowed to have nonveg and alcohol? Are there any specific rules regarding praying, like how many times to pray or when to pray?

I know that this group is for much more intellectual and knowledgable kind of people and not for totally ignorant fools like me. But this is the only group where I found sensible discussions (though sometimes it is hard for me to comprehend) are happening.  Please reply if possible. Or at least give me a source wehre I could find this information.

Thanks
Santhosh