[Advaita-l] Adi Shankaracharya had rejected Yoga.

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Tue Mar 7 22:32:55 CST 2006

On Sat, 4 Mar 2006, Krunal Makwana wrote:

> please can you cite the above statements within brahmasUtras. As i would
> like to read upon this.

This is brahmasutra 2.1.3.  In the previous two sutras the Samkhya theory
that an independent Prakriti (or Pradhana) is the cause of the world is
refuted.  The Yoga darshana differs from Sankhya in only minor ways.  (Yoga
for instance accepts the concept of Ishvara while Sankhya does not.)  So
the refutation of samkhya applies mutatis mutandis to Yoga.

As I have said before, Yoga the darshana is not the same as Yoga the
concept.  As an analogy, a democrat is a person who who believes in
democracy.  A Democrat is also a member of a particular political party in
the democracy called USA.  Just as the second type of democrat is only a
subset of the first type, Yoga the darshana is only a subset of yoga the
concept.

While Shankaracharya is a critic of the darshan, I believe Vidyashankar
has collected several examples from prasthana trayi were he speaks
favorably of yogic practices.