[Advaita-l] yoga in advaita vedA.nta - nyAya - and OUR six systems

S Jayanarayanan sjayana at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 4 14:47:30 CST 2006

India may be the only country where religion (faith in the
supernatural) and philosophy (pursuit of truth or wisdom) coincide.
In the West, philosophers reject religion as unsubstantiated beliefs,
and religious people shun philosophy as mere rhetoric. There is
hardly an overlap between the two, and when it does occur, it is only
in the context of someone disputing the existence of God, and someone
else defending it.

In Sankara's advaita VedAnta, the final goal is GYAna (Wisdom), which
makes it undoubtedly a philosophy, but there is a lot of scope for
faith-based worship of the deities and study of scriptures, which
makes it a religion as well. However, since a majority of people see
only that part of advaita VedAnta which deals with faith, they miss
out on the philosophical aspect, which forms the very core of the
darshana.

I have had many conversations with professors in the philosophy
departments in the US, and the general feeling amongst them is that
advaita is to be clubbed into the broad set of "Eastern religions" as
being either pantheistic or mystical hand-waving or feel-good
thinking. This is such a pity, because there are so many debates on
Consciousness in contemporary Western philosophy that could immensely
benefit from understanding the philosophical reasoning of advaita.

Regards,

Kartik