[Advaita-l] Proper worship in Shankara's tradtion

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Wed Mar 1 07:03:28 CST 2006

On Wed, 1 Mar 2006, arun nair wrote:

> Dear Sri Jaldharji
>
> "Shankaracharya glosses it as beings like Vinayakas, Matrkas,
> etc. "
>
> What do we mean by Vinayakas or Matrkas. Pls if you can elaborate.

Thanks to Bhaskar for reposting my previous mail on this subject.  You may
also be interested in a followup mail in that thread where I give the list
of bhutas some other Advaitic commentators give.

Basically the thing Vinayakas, Matrkas etc. all have in common is that
they must be respected.  They can cause trouble in the affairs of men if
offended.

Also from observing popular Hinduism (at least in Gujarat) I notice there
is a feeling that the "Big Gods" are too busy running the universe to pay
attention to ordinary people while the "Little Gods" are more willing to
meddle in ones' personal life.  (But you have to be careful or it can
backfire on you!)  This is probably why despite the opprobrium of
philosophers, such folk traditions have survived all these centuries.

Btw, I still haven't found any information about Chaturbhaginis so if
anyone has some insight let me know.