[Advaita-l] NOTES ON MANDUKYA UPANISHAD AND KARIKA: INTRODUCTION 6

bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Wed Jun 28 01:12:18 CDT 2006

Are there two Brahmans in Advaita?

The question itself is self-contradictory since advaita implies
non-duality.  However, there is notion among some Vedantins that advaita
subscribes to two Brahmans; one is nirguNa Brahman and the other is
saguNa Brahman.  We have already noted that being infiniteness, Brahman
cannot have any guNa or attributes since attributes belong to finites.

praNAms prabhuji
Hare Krishna

I beg to differ from this view point of yours...Yes, indeed there are two
brahmans in advaita..shankara explicitly mentions this in sUtra bhAshya
since shruti itself talking about two brahmans in prashnOpanishad i.e. para
& apara...one is saguNa that which is manOmaya, bhArUpa for upAsana another
one is nirguNa that which is agOtra, achintya, astUla, anaNu etc. However,
according to tradition,  we know, saguNa is ONLY for teaching purpose,
guNa-s are mere superimposition (adhyArOpa) on ever nirvikAri parabrahman.

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar