[Advaita-l] Re: institutionalization of religion

Ravisankar Mayavaram abhayambika at gmail.com
Fri Jul 28 12:41:58 CDT 2006

namaste Sri Abishek:

You are welcome to register your protest. But I wish you had sent that to
the list moderators.

People in this list may be competent to discuss any issue, but  read the
list policies, which was sent to you when you subscribed to this list. If
you want to discuss any issue under the the category hinduism, please use
soc.religion.hindu or some such forum. This is list is not very rigid, but I
think flexibility should have some limit.  I think the original posting by
Mr. Krishnarao Lanka, which started this thread should be deleted from the
archives (No matter what they call themselves, we should be indebted to RK
Math for publishing valuable books and translations related to vedic
religion, that too at a price people can afford, some of their valuable
books are cheaper than price you would pay by a full meals in a middle class
hotel)

For list policies, please see
http://www.advaita-vedanta.org/lists/welcome.txt

At personal level, I follow what is happening on the religious front in
India and mainly in TN. And I am as much troubled by some of the
developments as you and others. I agree we all have to act, but  Advaita-l
is not the outlet for venting one's frustrations on this topic.   If people
like you have the time and strength, please go the blog forums like
www.thamizmanam.com and reply to the posts that attack vedic religion.

There is nothing anti-intellectual about restricting the discussion to the
scope of the list.  I think we can keep further discussion off the forum,
please reply only to listmaster at advaita-vedanta.org and all the moderators
will get the message.

I hope I did not offend you in any way. If so, my apologies.

With best wishes.

Ravi

On 7/28/06, Abhishek RK <rkabhi at gmail.com> wrote:

> Namaste,
>
> On 7/27/06, Ravisankar Mayavaram <abhayambika at gmail.com> wrote:
> > This topic is outside the scope of the list. There are plenty other
> online
> > platforms where such discussions can be taken up. There are so many
> blogs
> > out there that discuss these issues and more importantly need input from
> > scholars to clarify the issues. May be we should spare Advaita-l.
> >

> I don't know if I'm allowed to, but I wish to register my protest
> against this. IMHO, this reflects the general anti-intellectual
> atmosphere clouding Hindus today. Acharya Shankara Bhagavtpada also
> took the help of King Sudhanva. Also, your pleading that this list "be
> spared" suggests some ulterior motives may be behind such discussions.
> With all due apologies, may we remind ourselves that we are not
> discussing some "rahasya" that is not to be discussed in public? IMO
> this list has enough competent scholars to answer to any debate or
> topic within the scope of Hinduism.
>
> Regards,
> Abhishek
>
> --
> satyena dhAryate pR^ithvi satyena tapate raviH|
> satyena vAti vAyushca sarvaM satye pratishThitam||
>
> calA lakShmIshcalAH prANAshcalaM jIvita yauvanaM|
> calAcale ca saMsAre dharma eko hi nishcalaH||

RaviSankar
<abhayambika at gmail.com>