[Advaita-l] Re: itihAsa purANa in the bR^ihadAraNyaka

Annapureddy Siddhartha Reddy annapureddy at gmail.com
Thu Jul 27 13:47:04 CDT 2006

Namaste Ramaji,
          Let me assure you that your writing style is impeccable. I
might have misled you by the subject line. What I intended was whether
Sankaracharya interpreted the itihAsapurANaM reference in the
Chandogya too in a similar way. The reason I was wondering was that I
have the translation of the Chandogya by Swami Gambhiranandaji, where
he identifies itihAsa with the MahaBharata and names them to be the
fifth Veda (contrary to what Vidyasankarji states in his article).
Perhaps Swami Gambhiranandaji was using other Tikas (Anandagiri) when
writing his translation. But I just wanted to be sure what
Sankaracharya's position was, and I didn't have his Bhasya in Sanskrit
at hand to check.

Personally, I feel Sankaracharya's position is more acceptable for the
reason that Vedas are deemed eternal, while the MahaBharata is not.
Thus, the reference itihAsa could not have meant MahaBharata, for
example, in the Treta Yuga.

Hari Om.

A.Siddhartha.

P.S. Hopefully your frustration levels have gone down a bit :-)