[Advaita-l] Personalities in veda-purANa

Shrinivas Gadkari sgadkari2001 at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 26 03:09:58 CDT 2006

Namaste,

Here are some ideas on this topic as I understand
them:

RSi of a mantra: description of the dominant state
of chitta wherein the meaning / content/ Rta
embodied in the mantra is revealed. Thus
vishvAmitra = vishva + amitra, i.e. state of chitta
that is non partial, non attached to anything.
This state is most conducive to understand the
import of gAyatrI mantra. This is also the reason
why we remind ourselves of the RSi of a mantra
before we do a manana (or even japa) of the mantra.
This is not to deny historical existence of an
embodied being that is described as vishvAmitra in
say rAmAyaNa. In fact due to continuous association
with the state of chitta best described as
vishvAmitra, tattva darSI-s started referring to
this personality mentioned in rAmAyaNa as
vishvAmitra.

Legends in purANa: Consider the famous itihAsa -
mahAbhArata.The events in the kuru family were
reflected upon by veda vyAsa. In these events he
saw all aspects of puruSArtha-s in a grand form.
Hence he decided to compose a kAvya which would
be an ultimate treatise on puruSArtha. So names
used within this itihAsa have been chosen by vyAsa
to (probably) represent the tattva-s that he "saw"
the characters represent. Of course the raw material
for this kAvya was derived from real incidents, but
choice of incidents, name of characters, and
probably even cities are vyAsa's choice. For
example: arjuna means one who earns (arja). So
incidents in his life that would not represent
this trait would have been kept out of
mahAbhArata.

One may understand other issues in this topic in a
similar manner.

Regards,
Shrinivas