[Advaita-l] Self-realization and Moksha

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Mon Jul 17 23:07:41 CDT 2006

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006, ramesh badisa wrote:

> “However, it is not as if you "become" that, but instead, you realize
> that you ARE that and that …”
>
>  Badisa: Namaste. It implies from the above that self- realization is
>  nothing but moksha. In that case, why Brahma Sutra 4.4.17 says
>  limitations even after self-realization.

It depends on who/what is being realized, what THAT refers to.  Let's look
at the sutras:

jagadvyApAravarjyam prakaraNAt asannihitvAccha || 17 ||

Except for the mechanics of the world, He being the subject, and because
the realized souls are not involved. (17)

When the shastras speak of the mechanics of the world-system, i.e. its
creation, maintainence, and dissolution and regeneration, it is only
Ishvara who is spoken about as being responsible.  The realized souls are
not mentioned in this context so these things are not powers which belong
to them.

Why is necessary to talk about an Ishvara?  Why can there only be one
Ishvara.  Because if you are going to talk about ideas such as creation at
all, then it must strike you that the created is strikingly similiar to
all observers.  I see the sky as blue, you see the sky as blue and everyone
else does.  If creation was performed by multiple entities, some people
should see the sky as purple, some as green, some as pink etc.  In fact
all the laws of nature should be as varied as individual dreams.  The
ubiquity of blueness in regards to the sky speaks to a common origin and
mechanism.

pratyakshopadeshAditichet na AdhikArikamaNDalasthokteH || 18 ||

If it is argued from empirical teaching? No; because it speaks of the
one who has special functions and resides in the spheres. (18)

Shruti is called pratyaksha upadesha here because it was directly "seen"
or "heard" by the Rshis.  It could be argued that Shruti says the realized
souls have unlimited powers.  For instance Taittareya upanishad 1.6 would
seem to imply this.  However this sutra reminds us that the same text goes
on to say that these powers are given by He who has the special functions
such as creation, maintainence, etc.  From the previous sutra we know that
person is Ishvara.  And that passage speaks of attaining the power of
speech, power of mind etc.  This is due to the Lord who pervades the
sphere of speech, the sphere of mind etc.

vikArAvarti cha tathA hi sthitimAha || 19 ||

And also because it is said there is one beyond all forms. (19)

Ishvara is the cause of all that there is and pervades it all but even
that is not the highest state.  For Shruti says Brahman is beyond all
forms.  As the Purushasukta says "one quarter of Him is all beings, three
quarters are immortal in Heaven."  This is paraphrased in
chandogyopanishad 3.12.6 too.

So being equal with Ishvara still doesn't mean you have unlimited power
because Brahman is more than the conception of it with limiting qualities
(gunas)  This is an important distinction to bear in mind.  Because we
think in terms such as time, and space, and power, the furthest degree to
which we can conceptualize Brahman is i.e. eternal (existing in all times,)
omnipresent (pervading all spaces,) and all-powerful (possessing the
maximum amount of power there is.)  But Brahman is actually beyond time,
beyond space, and beyond power.  Our words can only indirectly grasp at
these concepts.

darshayatashchaiva pratyakshanumAne || 20 ||

And it is also shown by perception and inference. (20)

Here also Shankaracharya interprets pratyaksha as Shruti because it the
direct perception of the Rshis.  Anumana refers to Smrti because it was
inferred by the Rshis based on their understanding of smrti.

There are references in both Shruti and Smrti that show while Brahman can
be conceptualized with gunas, ultimately it is beyond them.

bhogamAtrasAmyali~ngAccha || 21 ||

And the indications are of enjoyment only. (21)

Those statements in the shastras that do speak of lordly powers refer only
to enjoyment of the fruits of Ishvaras creation not to actual creation
itself.

anAvrttiH shabdAt anAvrttiH shabdAt || 22 ||

According to the shastras there is no return (22)

Actually this sutra is repeated twice because it is the last one in the
Brahmasutras.

An objection could be made that if a realized soul is only at the level of
creation and not in control of it, there is a chance he could get wrapped
up in samsara again.  After all, every created thing eventually comes to
an end.  This sutra tells us that the fear is unfounded.  Once the jiva
has escaped from samsara, there is no force that could send it back.  If
the jivas has not been fully realized by this time (because it identified
with saguna brahman not nirguna brahman) it will eventually do so when the
universe upto and including saguna brahman is destroyed in the pralaya.