[Advaita-l] Re: A REQUEST FOR GUIDANCE.

Ravi Parimi rparimi at gmail.com
Mon Jul 17 19:38:27 CDT 2006

> You are just shooting off your mouth to show how orthodox you are.
>
> What is a christian lifestyle anyway? If you are talking about social
> work, then many sannyAsI-s do it. The Kanchi Math also does it. I
> think the Sringeri Math also supports some hospitals, schools,
> libraries, etc.
>
> If you are expecting all advaitin sannyAsI-s to behave in exactly the
> same way, thats unreasonable. The tradition is not a bunch of parrots.
> Different organizations have their own ways of doing things. The core
> tradition is the same; peripherals vary.
>
> In any case, why should a sannyAsI bother about karma-s? Does
> SankarAcArya teach karma-s in his writings? All he says is that if you
> are not a sannyAsI, you should practise karma-s. But to learn those
> karma-s you have to go elsewhere, not to a sannyAsI.
>
> Translations/commentaries produced by the Ramakrishna Math say the same thing.
>
> Sadananda-ji was talking about learning vedAnta, not karma-s. I am not
> saying that karma-s are unimportant, but there are other sources from
> where one can learn them.

Perhaps Abhishek was expressing his concern about the futility of
learning vedanta from Swamis that do not emphasize the importance of
karmas. The trend of most modern Swamis seems to endorse initiation
into Vedanta without laying any emphasis on Karma. While doing this
may be good for the enlightened ones (or sanyAsis) this is not
necessarily true for the rest of the world.

--ravi