[Advaita-l] Re: Question: Swadharma

anantharaman anantharaman at touchtelindia.net
Tue Jan 31 21:20:23 CST 2006

Dear Rishiji

I think we are converging but a little more needs to be covered!

>From what you say, it looks as if nithya karmas in handed down the family tradition could possibly be different from what is ordained in the shastras.  This again, I  find difficult to accept.  That is why I said, so long as one is aware of the nitya karma, one should try to perform/perform and there is no compulsion that it should be necessarily handed down the lineage.  This is the crux of the issue.

Let us take, for instance, Sandhyavandanam. This is a nitya karma.  It is very much conceivable that there are many who have migrated to other countries and have, stopped doing Sandhya for generations. So, a Gen2 or Gen3 guy could possibly be unaware of this.  However, lets say Gen4 comes into contact with someone like us and providence makes him 'aware' of Sandhavandanam as a nitya karma.  At this point, he becomes obliged to perform it.  That he may choose not to do so now puts him ar par with Gen0 the migrant, who was 'aware' but was the first to stop doing the karma and thenceforth did not also communicate to Gen1, and so on.

I have personally known the above to be true at least in one case.  The young man was so happy when he heard about it that he got himself initiated into doing sandhavandanam regularly. He thus became a dwija not becase it was handed down by family tradition.  Like you mentioned he rather restarted the 'broken' thread!

I hope you are able to see my point.

With warm regards

Anantharaman