transliteration scheme (Re: [Advaita-l] sAmAnya dharma and viSeSha dharma)

Amuthan Arunkumar R aparyap at yahoo.co.in
Fri Jan 20 00:08:24 CST 2006

namo nArAyaNAya!

dear shrI raviSa~Nkar mAyavaram (and other list
members),

even adopting ITRANS as the transliteration scheme is
not wholly unambiguous as you have pointed out. the
syllables which have ambiguity in their usage are
(i've given my preferences in square brackets) :

1. all long vowels (for eg. [A], aa)
2. [M], .n, .m
3. [~N], ^N, N^
4. [sh], S
5. [Sh], shh
6. [kSh], x
7. [j~n], GY, dny
8. [R^i], RRi

and finally pranava. i guess both forms of writing
pranava are ok, but i'd prefer not to write it at all!

we need to finalise the usage of these eight letters.
i have one small request - can we use some alternative
other for 'R^i'? 'R^i' looks both clumsy and horrible
(to me!). probably we can use something simpler like
'R' or '.r'.

vAsudevaH sarvaM,
aparyAptAmR^itaH.